What is Restorative JUstice?
Restorative Justice is about (1)Repairing harm, (2) Bringing together all affected people to collaboratively figure out how to repair harm, and (3) Giving equal attention and respect to the community affected.
What do we do?
Raise awareness and take action to address issues that impact youth’s physical, emotional, and mental health using restorative practices in schools and neighborhoods.
Suspension & Punishment or Respect, Opportunity, & Support?
YEN's Restorative Justice Action Team works with youth in participating with the community to speak out about injustices and change their school system and neighborhoods.
RJ IN schools
The RJ Action Team works in Collaboration with the Santa Ana Building Healthy Communities Restorative Justice Work Group in implementing restorative practices in the Santa Ana Unified School District.
RJ Action team is a part of the school climate committee representing youth interest.
Restorative Justice In neighborhoods
The RJ team works in collaboration with the Chicanos Unidos, Copwatch Santa Ana, El Centro Cultural de Mexico, Young Survivors and community members against the Townsend Gang Injunction in working with the community to insure their rights are given to them.
WHAT IS A GANG INJUNCTION?
A gang Injunction is a court issued restraining order that prohibits people on a gang injunction list from participating in certain illegal and legal activities. A gang injunction is a civil law suit that declares that a person is a public nuisance and that within an area called safety a zone that person has to abide by certain terms and conditions.
BRIEF EVENTS WITH TOWNSEND G.I.
- September 2013 Gang Unit had a presentation at KidWorks. During the presentation a map of the Townsend Safety Zone was accidentally shown.
- June 12, 2014 Complaint filed by DA Susan Eckermann (Unknown to public).
- June 13, 2014 Ex parte hearing about Gang Injunction (Unknown to public).
- June 19, 2014 First person is served with Gang Injunction.
- Preliminary Gang Injunction is placed.
- January 15, 2015 Townsend gang injunction is declared permanent (without anyone involved knowing about it).
Why oppose a gang injunction
- Gang Injunctions do not address root causes of street violence.
- Criminalizes a whole neighborhood and community.
- Being put on a Gang Injunction list prevents people from accessing resources that could better that persons life.
- Gang Injunctions tear families, friends, and communities apart. People put on injunction list cannot be around anyone else that is on the injunction list whether family, friends, or neighbors.
- Being labeled a "Gang member" is a harmful tag that is both complicated and expensive to take off.
- Crime by law enforcement increases in safety zone areas.